• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

receiving stolen property=identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

criminall

What is the name of your state? CA

My boyfriend was pulled over and arrested for being in possession of some documents that had belonged to his recently deceased grandmother. his cousin had left them in his truck and has since written a brief statement saying so, but now is saying that my boyfriend had forced him to write the statement. Even though there was no actual fraud or identity theft committed with these documents and despite the cousin's written confession, my boyfriend is still having to defend himself-without representation- and because of his distant past record could be looking at 5-7 years for just having a couple of pieces of paper. any help, suggestions, anything could make a world of difference to us. Please!

CdwJava

criminall said:
My boyfriend was pulled over and arrested for being in possession of some documents that had belonged to his recently deceased grandmother. his cousin had left them in his truck and has since written a brief statement saying so, but now is saying that my boyfriend had forced him to write the statement. Even though there was no actual fraud or identity theft committed with these documents and despite the cousin's written confession, my boyfriend is still having to defend himself-without representation- and because of his distant past record could be looking at 5-7 years for just having a couple of pieces of paper. any help, suggestions, anything could make a world of difference to us. Please!
First, what are the specific code sections he is being charged with? That would tell us a lot about what potential crimes he faces.

Simply having grandma's "papers" on the seat in the car is not going to result in any identity theft crime I am aware of. He didn't happen to have applications for credit (in her name) or other things with him as well, did he?

And if he has no representation, that is his choice. If he cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed by the court.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">