• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Following too close?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redline

I was stuck in the traffic on N5 fwy on a friday evening. When I changed to fwy N57, traffic started to clear, and I started to gain some speed to 70mph, but in less than 1 mile after I changed to fwy N57, I was pulled over by an officer and gave me a ticker for following too close. The officer told me I was only about 35-40fts away from the car in front of me, and the state law required about 160 fts. I understand the law requried 2 seconds, but in such a short distance, (from the point I changed fwy to I was fully stop on the ramp, apporx. 1 mile), is it valid for the officer to determine I was driving too close? I was only driving "too close" for less than 1 min. Should I appeal ?

T

Tracey

Were you 2 seconds behind the car in front of you? Were you preparing to pass in a legal passing zone? If the answer to both questions is no, you're toast. The law doesn't say 2 seconds on average, or 2 seconds except when you're trying to get up to 70. It says 2 seconds.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">