• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 86/70 out-of-state Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

florida33460

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My husband and I were on our way from Florida to NY when we got pulled over in Georgia for doing 86 in a 70. I know for a fact that my husband was not doing the 86 mph that the office said he was doing. We saw two other cars pulled over off in the distance and my husband continued to move with traffic, but he was definitely doing 80 and not 86 (we had the cruise control set at 80). A car in front of us was going much faster and there was a patrol car hidden behind trees in a "no u turn" area. As soon as the car in front of us passed, the patrol car's lights came on but he waited for our car to pass before he headed out into traffic. The guy in front of us immediately put his signal on and pulled over to the side of the road, but the cop pulled us over instead. When the cop asked my husband to step out of the car he told my husband to ask for a "speed reduction" ?!? We have never heard of this before. The cop said they don't give speeding tickets in Georgia for anything under 15 mph over the speed limit, which is why he said we were doing 86. My husband travels and can't make it to court to fight the ticket, but he thinks we were targeted and thinks we should get a lawyer. I called the county court and they said to send $175 and a note saying we'd like a speed reduction. I am told it will be reduced to 74 in a 70 and no points on the license. Does this sound right to you? Should we just pay it or is it worth getting a lawyer?

Thanks!!

lwpat

If they will reduce it to a 74 in a 70 I would just pay the ticket. Be sure to get the name of the clerk that gave you the information and state the plea agreement in a letter with your money order. Send it CRRR and then confirm it by phone after they get the letter.

NC will suspend your license for a 15+ speeding ticket.

Was this on I95? If so, where?

As Lwpat said, things get very ugly and expensive for your insurance in NC wihen a 15 over comes back and generates a 30 day suspension. If they won't give you the reduction, get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">