• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Speeding tickets in NYC in a month - Texas license holder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nezz09

What is the name of your state?TX

I received 2 speeding tickets in NYC out of which I pleaded guilty on 1 and paid it off as suggested by one of the cops in the court. According to this cop, there's no point system in Texas and if I simply pay it off in NY, it will not affect my insurance or my DL because points will not follow me in Texas and if I move to NY at any time, they will have no record of it.

I received another speeding ticket in NYC and one of my friends from Texas told me that the laws have changed and every state now has centralized system. I have a court date in couple of weeks and am wondering if I should plead not guilty. Do you recommend hiring a lawyer?

What do you think I should do in a situation like this? Please help.

Regards
Nezz

lwpat

My understanding is that Texas does now have a point system and the tickets will go on your record for insurance purposes. Have you considered obtaining a NY license. Since these are on your Texas license NY does not enter out of state minor violations so your record would be clean, imagine that.

It is always a good idea to contest a speeding ticket since reductions are normal in most courts.

You Are Guilty

lwpat said:
My understanding is that Texas does now have a point system and the tickets will go on your record for insurance purposes.
JETX said:
WRONG!!
So, the CORRECT answer is.... YES, your NY speeding tickets will hit your Texas license. You now have FOUR points!! $100 for each of the next THREE years!
"Now", not "not" ;)

marbol

JETX said:
So, the CORRECT answer is.... YES, your NY speeding tickets will hit your Texas license. You now have FOUR points!! $100 for each of the next THREE years!
That depends. If the tickets were for less than 10 percent of the posted limit or the tickets were for prima facie speeding, then Texas won't assess the points.

Maybe the best thing would be to get a Mexican drivers license and use that :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">