• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driving w/ suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cdo4

I received a summons for driving my car with a suspended license. I didn't know that my license was suspended, but wasn't surprised for, a year ago, I received a speeding ticket in Nevada which I never paid. After receiving the summons, I paid the old Nevada ticket, along with the warrant, and asked for a letter sent to the Colorado DMV to reissue my license. My question is what can I do when I go to court for driving with a suspended license? I have one other ticket for driving too closely; otherwise, I have a clean record. I also had one other question. I received this summons after the police officer pulled me over for matching a suspect who had shoplifted at an Urban Outfitters down the corner. Was that a legal stop?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is merely advice and information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

1. Ignorance of the law is generally no excuse. it is always reasonable to believe that when you do not pay a traffic ticket, repercussions will follow (here DMV suspending your license).

2. If a police officer stopped you because a crime just occurred and he got a description from witnesses and you reasonably matched the description, he can stop you.

Unfortunately that is the way the law is.

you might want to read the criminal law section and traffic tickets section at freeadvice.com

hope this helps.

C

cdo4

I have paid the Nevada ticket and have had them send the Colorado DMV a letter to reinstate my license. My main question now is what should I do when I go into court for driving while under suspension? I have already paid to have the warrent in Nevada lifted and will pay the fee for reinstating my license in Colorardo. Do you think that shows enough "good faith," or is there anything else I can do to not get more in debt over this whole thing?

T

Tracey

Be contrite. Be very contrite.

Take in proof of everything you've done to fix this problem and beg the judge to be lenient. Dress very nicely and speak politely. Make eye contact. Stand up straight. Do NOT interupt the judge. Explain the financial hardship you've already incurred. Pray.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">