• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got 2 parking tickets on car sold last year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blinda

On March 7 and March 9, 2000, I received in the mail two Notice of Delinquent Parking Violation letters. These were for violations cited on Feb 8 and Feb 10, 2000, for a vehicle I had sold last Nov 9, 1999.

The registration on that vehicle had been renewed just prior to selling it on Oct 9, 1999; apparently the party I sold it to has not changed the registration to his name.

As this was the first time I'd sold a vehicle, I was unaware I needed to fill out a Notice of Release of Liability form.

Upon receiving the citations, however, I asked at AAA and was given the Notice of Release of Liability form. I filled it out and sent copies to both the DMV in Sacramento and Los Angeles. I also included a letter of explanation to the L.A. DMV and returned it with copies of the ticket and the Notice of Release of Liability form in the Correspondence envelope they provided.

On March 28, 2000, I received a response to my letter. The LA DMV has conducted an administrative invetigation that has concluded that the citations are valid. But to be granted a hearing, I will have to mail payment to them within 21 days, which will be April 17.

My questions:

1. What happens if I do not pay?

2. Won't all fines/penalties/late fees just be added to the vehicle's registration fees when the vehicle's registration comes due again on Oct 9, 2000? Then it will be the owner's responsibility to pay those fines, as it should be.

3. Or will the fines/penalties/late fees be somehow put on my record, since they have my name and address on file and added to the cost of re-newing the registration on my current vehicle?

Your reply will surely alleviate further sleepless nights!

Thanks for your prompt reply,

L

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blinda:
On March 7 and March 9, 2000, I received in the mail two Notice of Delinquent Parking Violation letters. These were for violations cited on Feb 8 and Feb 10, 2000, for a vehicle I had sold last Nov 9, 1999.

The registration on that vehicle had been renewed just prior to selling it on Oct 9, 1999; apparently the party I sold it to has not changed the registration to his name.

As this was the first time I'd sold a vehicle, I was unaware I needed to fill out a Notice of Release of Liability form.

Upon receiving the citations, however, I asked at AAA and was given the Notice of Release of Liability form. I filled it out and sent copies to both the DMV in Sacramento and Los Angeles. I also included a letter of explanation to the L.A. DMV and returned it with copies of the ticket and the Notice of Release of Liability form in the Correspondence envelope they provided.

On March 28, 2000, I received a response to my letter. The LA DMV has conducted an administrative invetigation that has concluded that the citations are valid. But to be granted a hearing, I will have to mail payment to them within 21 days, which will be April 17.

My questions:

1. What happens if I do not pay?

2. Won't all fines/penalties/late fees just be added to the vehicle's registration fees when the vehicle's registration comes due again on Oct 9, 2000? Then it will be the owner's responsibility to pay those fines, as it should be.

3. Or will the fines/penalties/late fees be somehow put on my record, since they have my name and address on file and added to the cost of re-newing the registration on my current vehicle?

Your reply will surely alleviate further sleepless nights!

Thanks for your prompt reply,

L
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Well, you know what they say: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" (- - and who are "they" anyway?) It's true however. The DMV will, in all likelihood, charge the new owner. But, because of your "ignorance" you have caused yourself wasted time, money and energy. In the short term, pay the fine and
get a hearing date. If you don't pay, these tickets can go to "Warrant" and will go on your driving record. Of course, it goes without saying, to bring all of your documents with you, correct? Now, go forth, and don't do this again.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 12, 2000).]

Z

zman 1

I have same problem.read my story 4/10/2000 "texan with tickets in florida"

zman

[This message has been edited by zman 1 (edited April 18, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">