• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

texan with tickets in florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zman 1

Hi,My name is Mark.I live in Houston TX. I have never been to Florida in my life,but I received 4 parking tickets in Dade county,FL. on a vehicle I sold 10 months ago.I have been going back and forth with the morons running this court(they want me to prove I didn`t own the car when parking tickets were written).I sent them a copy of bill of sale and a copy of title transfer from the TEXAS DEPT. OF TRANSPORTATION.The court sent these back to me telling me to show proof of sale(I THOUGHT I DID!)and/or"a notarized statement with the full name and address of person to whom vehicle was sold indicating the tag was left on the vehicle at the time".Why do I have to do this?They threatened to report me to a credit reporting agency.Can they hurt my credit?Why should I spend my time and money trying to fix there mistakes?

B

blinda

If it can get any worse than my situation I guess it's yours, since you are dealing with another state and I am just dealing with Los Angeles county. I went down to the DMV and the woman behind the counter told me to NOT pay it and resend the state's printout of the record of the sale of the vehicle and circle the date of sale. She said don't bother writing or sending any letters of explanation since they obviously do not read them. So that's what I did; yesterday I got back another form letter telling me they received my request for a hearing but no checks-- include full payment before a hearing can be scheduled.
Is it worth the time and effort? NO. I have been advised to just pay the fines. I have 15 days to decide. Is it worth the stress? NO.

T

Tracey

OK Mark, try this:

Write up an Affidavit setting forth the facts you've already told them and all the stuff they want you to say. If TX plates belong to the car rather than to an owner, tell them that too. Attach copies of your documents, and aver that they are "true and correct copies." Take the affidavit to a notary public, present your ID, and sign and get it notarized. You can ask the notary ahead of time what form/words to use.

Put all this and copies of the court's request in the mail (certified, return receipt). Once you have done everything the court asked, it should take the tix off your record. But don't hold your breath.

The reason they want a notarized statement is because you have to "swear, avow, or affirm" that everythin you say in the affidavit is true and correct to the best of your knowledge. This lets the court jail you for contempt if it finds out you were lying. Courts are much more willing to believe someone who's subjected themselves to contempt charges.....

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">