• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drag Racing on highway, FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kidrcth

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

My question is this, i am going to be going to court very soon. but dont know if i am to plea not guilty or guilty or any other plea.

The simple thing is that i wasn't racing. I had just gotton off work and my car had been having problems ever since a school bus ran my car over 1 week before. The idle was irratic, and stalling was very common. I pulled up to the light to get out of the mall, and sat and waited. All the sudden my car tries to die on me. So i gave it gas, it may have been too much, but i dont know, but the gas pedal was stuck to the floor of the car. I didn't have enough time to shove it into park or what not. YOu dont hink of that when your car is moving into an intersection thats open to the other direction of traffic, and your about to get hit. After maybe 1 second, maybe 2, i noticed i was in the path od a semi and 2 trucks in all the lanes. So i took my risks and i ran the red light. Soon after(mirraculously) the gas pedal became unstuck. I know it sounds unlikely, but it did happen. I pulled into a circuit city parking lot and stoped(it was the next right on the road), the car has already died, it stalled.

4 cops soon come up to my car and quickly arrested me(what they called detain), and searched my car without permission, or IMO reasonable cause. My car is a show car and there are no smells coming from the car. I am sitting in the back of the cop car while everytime i say something all i get back is "tell it to the judge in the morning." IMO that means your going down town. Ok fine. Later on they start to move and i yell "wait dont i get to call my mom." The officer responds with "how old are you." and i told him. They didn't know i am a minor. they soon back out of my car and allow me to give them my mom's phone number. They are then nice to me sort of, instead of "tell it to the judge in the morning" its, other questions like, "you expect me to believe that."

But after this incident my problems with the vehicle became more sever. the car's idle is very choppy and i stuggle for a solution. I end up stabilizing the idle, but soon other problems occure. MY engine starts making funny noises and the works. Most mechanics know noises arn't good things, but in this case, they were a breaking point. Right now i am in the porcess or spending $2100(i have every single reciept) and trying to get my car functional again. I have bought a brand new engine, most every sensor for my car. In hopes to bring her back to life.

I understand that the law i broke,
Translation #1:
316.191(2)(a) Any person actively participating in any unauthorized motor vehicle or motorcycle contest of speed, acceleration or endurance on any highway, roadway, or parking lot is guilty of a misdemeanor of a second degree. A fine shall be imposed of not less than $250 and not more than $500, and the Department of Highway Safety shall revoke the driver license of a person so convicted for 1 year.

Translation #2:
(2)(a) A person may not drive any vehicle, including any motorcycle, in any race; speed
competition or contest; drag race or acceleration contest; test of physical endurance; exhibition of speed
or acceleration; or for the purpose of making a speed record on any highway, roadway, or parking lot,
and a person may not in any manner participate in, coordinate, facilitate, or collect moneys at any
location for any such race; ride as a passenger in; or purposefully cause the movement of traffic to slow
or stop for, any such race, competition, contest, test, or exhibition. Any person who violates this
paragraph commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s.
775.083. Any person who violates this paragraph shall pay a fine of not less than $250 and not more
than $500, and the department shall revoke the driver license of a person so convicted for 1 year. A
hearing may be requested pursuant to s. 322.271

The law pretty much states i cannot compete against another person, or show that i'm fast. When your in a car panicing cause your gas pedal is stuck down the last thing i was thinking about was, is the car next to me gonna go first. year right, i was turning left and they were turning right.

So what do i plea?
Guilty becuase i did it, but i couldn't help it?
Not Guilty because i had no control over the situation?
No Contest becuase i did do it, but couldn't help it?

I'd appreciate help. I know the gas pedal thing is far fetched but so much has gone wrong with this car lately, the rest of this mess has got to cover for some of this.

Thanks,
Shane

kidrcth

no that is the same incident. I am now preparing my case for trial next week. and still am unsure of a plea. the cops arresting me broke more laws then i did. I have copies, and many professinal opinions of these laws.

First, the cops illegally searched my vehicle with no reason to search the car. They did find evidence, but they couldn't use it against me ever becuase they illegally searched my vehicle.

Secondly, they had me arrested, and detained for half an hour without trying to contact my parent/guardians. That is the number 1 law they broke. I still am, and was 17 at the time of the incident.

And, also had mechanical troubles. I was brutalized, and embarassed in front of co workers. When i win this case i will be sueing the dept for money and tiem spent on preparing this case.

Shane

Shay-Pari'e

kidrcth said:
no that is the same incident. I am now preparing my case for trial next week. and still am unsure of a plea. the cops arresting me broke more laws then i did. I have copies, and many professinal opinions of these laws.

First, the cops illegally searched my vehicle with no reason to search the car. They did find evidence, but they couldn't use it against me ever becuase they illegally searched my vehicle.

Secondly, they had me arrested, and detained for half an hour without trying to contact my parent/guardians. That is the number 1 law they broke. I still am, and was 17 at the time of the incident.

And, also had mechanical troubles. I was brutalized, and embarassed in front of co workers. When i win this case i will be sueing the dept for money and tiem spent on preparing this case.

Shane
Thanks for the story, but what is your question? We can't tell you how to plead. Ask your parents.

Curt581

kidrcth said:

As I told you in the earlier thread, you are either:

Trying to get us to believe the most outrageous BS story I've ever read...

OR

You actually believe this garbage. If you do, I recommend getting help for your crack smoking habit.

Which ever it is, no court or judge in his/her right mind is ever going to believe it. If you insist on using this defense, be prepared to be humiliated.

kidrcth

i got off my ticket. The judge is only making be pay the bald tire ticket. Since all other was mechanical malfunction.

So i handed the lady $72 and called the incident complete.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">