• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Code: 27-37-501(wrong violation)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shepard

I have been given a citation because I allegedly violated Arkansas code 27-37-501. They wrote me a ticket because I had a faulty blinker. This legislation has NOTHING in it about a turn signal. I have inluded what it is. Does this mean I can not be charged for this crime?

§ 27-37-501. Equipment required.

(a)(1) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of, and to stop and hold, the vehicle, including two (2) separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least two (2) wheels.

(2) If these two (2) separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way, they shall be constructed so that failure of any one (1) part of the operating mechanism shall not leave the motor vehicle without brakes on at least two (2) wheels.

(b) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with at least one (1) brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

(c)(1) Every trailer or semitrailer of a gross weight of three thousand pounds (3,000 lbs) or more when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of, and to stop and to hold, such vehicle and so designed as to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from its cab; and

(2) The brakes shall be so designed and connected that in case of an accidental break-away of the towed vehicle, the brakes shall be automatically applied.

(d)(1)(A) Every new motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer sold in the state and operated upon the highways shall be equipped with service brakes upon all wheels of every such vehicle, except any motorcycle or motor-driven cycle; and

(B) Any semitrailer of less than one thousand five hundred pounds (1,500 lbs) gross weight need not be equipped with brakes.

(2) Trucks and truck-tractors having three (3) or more axles need not have brakes on the front wheels, except, when the vehicles are equipped with at least two (2) steerable axles, the wheels of one (1) axle need not be equipped with brakes.

(e)(1) Every singly driven motor vehicle and every combination of motor vehicles shall, at all times, be equipped with a parking brake or brakes adequate to hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated, under any conditions of loading, on a surface free from ice or snow.

(2)(A) The parking brake or brakes shall, at all times, be capable of being applied in conformance with the requirements of subdivision (e)(1) of this section by either the driver's muscular effort or by spring action or by other energy.

(B) If other energy is depended on for application of the parking brake, then an accumulation of such energy shall be isolated from any common source and used exclusively for the operation of the parking brake.

(3) The parking brake or brakes shall be so designed, constructed, and maintained that when once applied they shall remain in the applied condition with the required effectiveness despite exhaustion of any source of energy or leakage of any kind, and so that they cannot be released unless adequate energy is available upon release of such brake or brakes to make immediate further application with the required effectiveness.

(f) The brake shoes operating within or upon the drums on the vehicle wheels of any motor vehicle may be used for both service and hand operation.

(g) All brakes shall be maintained in good working order and shall be so adjusted as to operate as equally as practicable with respect to the wheels on opposite sides of the vehicle.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shepard:
I have been given a citation because I allegedly violated Arkansas code 27-37-501. They wrote me a ticket because I had a faulty blinker. This legislation has NOTHING in it about a turn signal. I have inluded what it is. Does this mean I can not be charged for this crime?

§ 27-37-501. Equipment required.

(a)(1) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of, and to stop and hold, the vehicle, including two (2) separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least two (2) wheels.

(2) If these two (2) separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way, they shall be constructed so that failure of any one (1) part of the operating mechanism shall not leave the motor vehicle without brakes on at least two (2) wheels.

(b) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with at least one (1) brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

(c)(1) Every trailer or semitrailer of a gross weight of three thousand pounds (3,000 lbs) or more when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of, and to stop and to hold, such vehicle and so designed as to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from its cab; and

(2) The brakes shall be so designed and connected that in case of an accidental break-away of the towed vehicle, the brakes shall be automatically applied.

(d)(1)(A) Every new motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer sold in the state and operated upon the highways shall be equipped with service brakes upon all wheels of every such vehicle, except any motorcycle or motor-driven cycle; and

(B) Any semitrailer of less than one thousand five hundred pounds (1,500 lbs) gross weight need not be equipped with brakes.

(2) Trucks and truck-tractors having three (3) or more axles need not have brakes on the front wheels, except, when the vehicles are equipped with at least two (2) steerable axles, the wheels of one (1) axle need not be equipped with brakes.

(e)(1) Every singly driven motor vehicle and every combination of motor vehicles shall, at all times, be equipped with a parking brake or brakes adequate to hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated, under any conditions of loading, on a surface free from ice or snow.

(2)(A) The parking brake or brakes shall, at all times, be capable of being applied in conformance with the requirements of subdivision (e)(1) of this section by either the driver's muscular effort or by spring action or by other energy.

(B) If other energy is depended on for application of the parking brake, then an accumulation of such energy shall be isolated from any common source and used exclusively for the operation of the parking brake.

(3) The parking brake or brakes shall be so designed, constructed, and maintained that when once applied they shall remain in the applied condition with the required effectiveness despite exhaustion of any source of energy or leakage of any kind, and so that they cannot be released unless adequate energy is available upon release of such brake or brakes to make immediate further application with the required effectiveness.

(f) The brake shoes operating within or upon the drums on the vehicle wheels of any motor vehicle may be used for both service and hand operation.

(g) All brakes shall be maintained in good working order and shall be so adjusted as to operate as equally as practicable with respect to the wheels on opposite sides of the vehicle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cop blew it. You'll be able to defend, and win, by saying: "Your Honor, I ask that you get off of the bench, and come outside to see my car. You'll take Judicial Notice of the fact that not only is my car equiped with a foot brake, but you'll notice also that between my seats, there's an "Emergency Brake" that meets with this law."

Then, ask that your case be dismissed WITH PREJUDICE.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">