• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

use of impound fees to pay for osha equipment and reasonable accomodation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anette

My local police department is using vehicle impound funds to pay for equipment to meet the latest OSHA requirements. This includes about $40,000 in desks, chairs, etc. They also purchased a $4,000 ergonomic desk which is not required by OSHA. I spoke with my local OSHA office, and it sounds as if the desk was purchased to pay for an employees reasonable accomodation. According to the ADA, the employer is to pay for this. I have written to my state office of traffic safety, as well as the local district attorney, but they do not want to address the issue. Because of confidentiality, I can not prove the fact that the employee probably has an injury and has specialized needs. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do? I do not think people should be losing their cars to pay for a persons injury.

Also, the employees of the company that tows the vehicles told me they give the police department kickbacks to encourage use of their towing service. Is there a way to find documentation of such stuff under the freedom of information act?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">