• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right of Way?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

h3l

What is the name of your state? -
I was invloved in a minor car accident today. I was in front of another car in the same lane. Another car stopped in front of me. We (my car and the car behind me) signalled to change lanes to overtake the stopped car in front of me. I slowly began to pull out into the next lane at the same time as he did. I was being cautious as i'm still relatively inexperienced, so I was pulling out not very fast. He, in his sports coupe, tried to take over me while I was slightly in the next lane. He clipped the front left of my car as he tried to accelerate away past me. He got a long scratch and a minor dent on the right side of his car. He maintains that he has right of way because he pulled out of the lane a fraction of a second before me. I always thought (since we were both signalling at the same time) that the car in front has right of way. Is he right or does the car in front have right of way?

lwpat

This would be something for the court to determine. Did you receive a ticket?

This is fairly common and you need to be sure that you are clear before you start your move. Watch the road ahead and don't get trapped behind a slow moving vehicle. Get in the left lane, pass, and then PLEASE move back over.

I used to always write the ticket to the car behind and also got cussed a lot and the judge would usually dismiss. It just depends on the officer and the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">