• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pa have to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dimag

My son after a traffic violation had to have out our vehicle towed. THe next morning he called to find out how much it would cost to pick it up. THey man said 150.00 So my son went with a check to get it, when he went to write out the check and asked how much ( incase it was 150 and some odd cents) the fellow (not the one he talked to) said 75.00. So he wrote it for 75.00. I received a call that evening from the man who towed it saying that if my son wasn`t down there with the rest of the money he would call the cops. I said I would contact my son and tell him. I didn`t know about the 75.00 thing. When I hung up and told my husband he told me the guy had told our son 75.00. So I called right back and asked,was it another person who took the check and he said yea and that he gave him the devil for only charging 75 as he had just bought a new truck and how far he had to tow it etc etc. He was very disagreeable and I asked can I send another check and he said yes. Now I am wondering do I really have to send another 75.00 I believe 75 is his normal amount and he just decided to double it in this case. But it`s only his word against ours. Could he really call the police?

T

Tracey

It's not a criminal case - your son paid the impound lot worker what the worker asked for and was given the car freely. Did son sign a release from damage form or get a separate receipt?

Make copies of any paperwork regarding the towing fee and keep it with you (glove box). Have son and hubby keep copies too. If police show up, explain what happened and show them your paperwork.

If the guy tries to sue you, tell the judge that he admitted that his employee only charged the normal $75 rate and that the guy admitted he'd doubled the rate to pay off a new truck.

Is your son under 18? Minors get to plead special defenses.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">