• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultury in Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babygirl12345

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My husband and I recently got married a month ago. Before us becoming married, i knew of his situation. A year ago he was dating a woman and eventually they went there separate ways. A couple months later he gets a phone call from her husband (which he had no knowledge of). And couple a phone calls later, she states that she is 3 mos. preg and doesn't know who the father is. Last week she notified my husband that she had the baby a month ago and the paternity test that her and her husband took came back negative. They want, whoever the father is, to pay $800 a month in daycare while the husband handles the other day-to-day baby expenses. My husband and i decided that it would be best if he took a paternity test to see if he was the father. The results came back that my husband is the father of her child. (The baby also has her husband's last name) Someone told me that it was consider adultry on her part and he shouldn't have to do anything at all because he is not liable for the child because she is married. We haven't told the woman what the results are because we are now thinking that we don't want any part of the situation. If she does decide to take him to get (another) paternity test it will come from her money. My question is can my husband be liable for child support or even supporting the child with him not knowing that she was married when the baby was conceived? Will she also be held liable because of her adultry? Thanks!!! :)

racer72

My question is can my husband be liable for child support or even supporting the child with him not knowing that she was married when the baby was conceived?
Sure he can and probably will.

Will she also be held liable because of her adultry?
Child support is based on the income of both parents. Adultry is not just cause to be relieved of one's child support obligation. And you will be hard pressed to find anyone that has been charged with adultry in the past 50 years. And as both parties were willing participants, it is highly unlikely any criminal charges will be forthcoming.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">