• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does smokey have to show me the radar in IL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

badfish

I'm hoping that someone with Illinois traffic law knowledge can help me out here. I was pulled over by a cop who was driving in the opposite lane of traffic when he "clocked" me doing 60 in a 45. After he spent half the afternoon writing out the ticket (meanwhile people are being raped and killed), I asked him to see the radar and he nervoulsly told me sure, but it might not be there because the reading automatically resets after about 10 minutes. It sounded pretty shady to me, especially since I really don't think I was going quite that fast and the fact that he came up with a nice round number like 60. Sure enough, no radar reading to show me when we walked back to his car. Of course, he did not tear up the ticket.
So if anyone had heard of radar guns that reset automatically, knows about the reliability of radar when both cars are moving towards each other or the law in Illinois when a cop can't show the proof, please share it with me. I've got a feeling that I'm just at the mercy of some judge's mood/attitude. Thanks.

F

fishnmagicn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by badfish:
I'm hoping that someone with Illinois traffic law knowledge can help me out here. I was pulled over by a cop who was driving in the opposite lane of traffic when he "clocked" me doing 60 in a 45. After he spent half the afternoon writing out the ticket (meanwhile people are being raped and killed), I asked him to see the radar and he nervoulsly told me sure, but it might not be there because the reading automatically resets after about 10 minutes. It sounded pretty shady to me, especially since I really don't think I was going quite that fast and the fact that he came up with a nice round number like 60. Sure enough, no radar reading to show me when we walked back to his car. Of course, he did not tear up the ticket.
So if anyone had heard of radar guns that reset automatically, knows about the reliability of radar when both cars are moving towards each other or the law in Illinois when a cop can't show the proof, please share it with me. I've got a feeling that I'm just at the mercy of some judge's mood/attitude. Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you will win ......no questions asked......if he used radar like he said he did, the radar signal more than likely bounced off a few cars by the time the signal got back to him and therefore gave a BS reading......you should have no problem having this one thrown out.....I live in Chicago and had the same thing.....read up about radar and how they work.....you will find that the radar signal 99% of the time hits more than one vehicle if the officer is in the opposing lane of traffic

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">