• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garage theft, insurance company giving run around

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

briansbadlx

What is the name of your state? michigan

my garage was broken in to around 2 mth ago, my tool box was stolen and there was a few auto parts stolen the parts where not on a car. i have a hand writen bill of sale for the tool box becouse i bought it used and have a few for the parts, most of my reciepts where in the tol box, it was a large box and the value of the stuff that was taken ended at around 10,000
the insurance company hired a privet investagator to check it out and i met with him and he was a real jerk, i think they are going to try to deny my claim, all the guy asked about was how much money me and my girl freind make, do i have to have bill of sale on all the stuff that was taken can they just deny it, there has to be some laws what can i do i have done all there paper work, they can require you to have one for all your stuff

claimlaw

I am repeatedly astounded by the large number of questions asked by persons who fail to read even the first lines of their insurance contracts.

1. You have no obligation to dicuss the loss with the private investigator. The investigator is hired to intimidate and gather information used solely to support the insurer's position.[Read: YOUR DUTIES FOLLOWING A LOSS found in SECTION 1. CONDITIONS]

2. You have a duty to reasonably cooperate with an insurer's reasonable investigation.[Read: YOUR DUTIES FOLLOWING A LOSS found in SECTION 1. CONDITIONS]

3. You have an obligation to prove the amount of your loss. That means you must perform, based upon your specific policy, one of the following:
a. Submit your Sworn Statement in Proof of Loss within 60 days of the date of the loss. Or;
b. Submit your Sworn Statement in Proof of Loss within 60 days of the INSURER'S REQUEST for your Proof of Loss.[Read: YOUR DUTIES FOLLOWING A LOSS found in SECTION 1. CONDITIONS]. In the absence of this submission; you have made no claim!

4. After you fullfil the aforementioned obligations the insurer must respond within 60 days. Their choices are:

a. Request further supporting information if reasonable and/or request that you submit to an Examination Under Oath[Read: YOUR DUTIES FOLLOWING A LOSS found in SECTION 1. CONDITIONS].
b. Call you a liar.
c. Pay the claim.

You have no obligation to provide bills and receipts, necessarily. There are many alternative means to document losses.

Claimlaw

briansbadlx

theft

michigan, most of the receipts where in the top drawer of the box what types of stuff can i use as proof of loss to themthey rejected the first proof of loss form be couse,,,( 1. there is no amount stated for the damage to the building or personal property

2. there is not sufficient documentation to substantiate the extent of the loss claimed

what can i use to document this with no bill of sales they do have the bill of sale from the box, and car parts but when i bought the box used it had alot of tools in it ant the receipt states it came with tools

claimlaw

Well, #1 is self-explanatory. State an amount. Of money.

#2 seems self-explanatory also. How about photos, video tape, sworn statements from friends, family and neighbors who are familiar with your tools/garage... the grease monkeys with whom you work, since your insurer looks at a regular guy with $10K worth of mechanics tools as a professional. Since you are probably operating a repair center at your home, they will later advise you that your business equipment isn't covered.

Again, refer to my first post - read the goddamned policy. It tells you what you need to do.

Claimlaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">