• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IAAL- I plan to send the motion tomorrow, do you see any surprises?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WofTheFields

Thanks for your fast reply to my message yesterday. I will not file a change of venue, just the "motion for a verified complaint." A couple of more questions:

1. Have you tried this strategy before and did they send back an answer as to whether they were going to drop the charges or did you have to show up in court to get the answer? What is the success rate?

2. How long should I wait to receive a response from the court using my SASE before going over to investigate? What if they decide to not send a response and claim "We never received your motion" at the court date?

3. Any other surprises that I should anticipate.

As you can tell, I'm nervous. I'm a novice at this and fear the court (it's at Huntington Park) will throw me curve balls.

Thanks,

WOTF.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WofTheFields:
Thanks for your fast reply to my message yesterday. I will not file a change of venue, just the "motion for a verified complaint." A couple of more questions:

1. Have you tried this strategy before and did they send back an answer as to whether they were going to drop the charges or did you have to show up in court to get the answer? What is the success rate?

<<Well, yes. Heck, I wrote it!! They don't drop the charges, unless the prosecutor fails to file a verified complaint. You've got to show up on your appointed date and time. Then, before the judge gets into the facts of your ticket, he/she will decide on the merits of the motion. Success? Well, that depends on which side of the bed the judge gets up on. I've won once, and lost once. So, I guess 50/50 ain't so bad.>>

2. How long should I wait to receive a response from the court using my SASE before going over to investigate? What if they decide to not send a response and claim "We never received your motion" at the court date?

<<The SASE is only for your return receipt of a "conformed copy" of the first page of the motion, to prove that it was filed. In this type of a matter, the judge will make a ruling from the bench, and you won't get an "opposition" in the mail. You'll get your answer on the hearing date. Hey, if you want to send it Certified, there's no law against that.>>

3. Any other surprises that I should anticipate.

<<None that come to mind.>>

IAAL

As you can tell, I'm nervous. I'm a novice at this and fear the court (it's at Huntington Park) will throw me curve balls.

Thanks,

WOTF.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">