• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

95+ on new motorcycle, am I nailed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Carpenter

My buddy and I were caught 95+ on the freeway and charged w/ speeding, reckless driving, and my friend got evading police too. We were merging onto the freeway and the traffic in front was going to slow. We switched lanes and took off. We both slowed down and the cop got behind me and pulled me over and my friend pulled off the next exit a few hundred feet away and was going to turn around. We couldn't hear since we were wearing helmets and the only way I knew he was behind me was when I looked in my mirror to change lanes and see where my friend was. The cop, who was behind us in traffic says that he had to go 95 to catch up to us so "you had to be going at least 95." He had radar but did't use it. My friend has never had a ticket and it's been 11 years since my last one. Should either of us get a lawyer? Can these get dropped.

J

jd

Hardest part about getting out of speeding ticket in court is that your don't have to show that you weren't going the speed the officer said - i.e., 95 mph - you have to get the court to believe you were not speeding! The amount over the speed limit would iompatc the fine and penalties - the charge is usually exceedingt he speed limit or traaveleing at an unsafe speed (when the safe speed id determined to be the posted speed limit).

W

wilbergris

The police officer's logic makes no sense. If he had to go 95 to catch you, you must have been going less than 95. If you were going more than 95, you'd be pulling away from him. It probably doesn't matter in your case, but I thought it was funny when I read it.

[This message has been edited by wilbergris (edited May 05, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">