• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alleged Reckless Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Daviejet

I was driving down a three lane highway on a section I had never before been down, in a hurry of course, doing 70 miles per hour with the other 4 cars around me. Unknown to me, one of the lanes ended and very shortly after, I decided to pass in that non-existant lane. The shoulder was very wide, and didn't realize it wasn't a lane until most the way through the pass. As my luck goes, It just happened to be an unmarked police car with a plain cloths cop inside. He was angry to say the least...and understandably so. The Law defines reckless driving as willfull or wanton disregard for the safety of the public and property. I would absolutely never pass on a shoulder, but try explaining that to a ticked off officer. Wanton defined, means malicious act, and nothing could be farther from the truth. as I said earlier, the officer was also at 20 over the limit. His claim to the prosecutor is that he was pacing a speeder when I passed and "swerved" in front of him. there was nobody in front of him! He simply used his speeding to demonstrate my own....he lied! Is there any advice you could give me that would help me at least get this charge reduced to a lesser one? Should I leave the fact that he was speeding completely out of it? Am I completely screwed? My driving record is spotless and have never been in any legal trouble if that gives you any ideas for advice....thanks

F

fishnmagicn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daviejet:
I was driving down a three lane highway on a section I had never before been down, in a hurry of course, doing 70 miles per hour with the other 4 cars around me. Unknown to me, one of the lanes ended and very shortly after, I decided to pass in that non-existant lane. The shoulder was very wide, and didn't realize it wasn't a lane until most the way through the pass. As my luck goes, It just happened to be an unmarked police car with a plain cloths cop inside. He was angry to say the least...and understandably so. The Law defines reckless driving as willfull or wanton disregard for the safety of the public and property. I would absolutely never pass on a shoulder, but try explaining that to a ticked off officer. Wanton defined, means malicious act, and nothing could be farther from the truth. as I said earlier, the officer was also at 20 over the limit. His claim to the prosecutor is that he was pacing a speeder when I passed and "swerved" in front of him. there was nobody in front of him! He simply used his speeding to demonstrate my own....he lied! Is there any advice you could give me that would help me at least get this charge reduced to a lesser one? Should I leave the fact that he was speeding completely out of it? Am I completely screwed? My driving record is spotless and have never been in any legal trouble if that gives you any ideas for advice....thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
don't sweat it.......get a lawyer, and let him get everything reduced for ya......I doubt you'll have a fine bigger than $150

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">