• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leigh2005

Speeding Ticket State: Florida
Drivers License and Insurance: North Carolina

I received a speeding ticket in Jacksonville, Florida going 65 in 45 from the Florida Highway Patrol coming from the airport. The fact that I feel that there is no way that I was going 65 mph is irrelevant; however, I am lost as to what I do now.

There was a patrolman in the middle of the road (not in his vehicle) flagging me down to pull over on the left side of the road. I thought that was strange, especially since I didn't think I was doing anything wrong.

The Highway Patrolman says I was going 65 in 45, of which I do not agree with, but that is beside the point.

ANYWAY, to the question. Since I have a NC drivers license can I still claim Prayer for Judgment even though the ticket was in FL? It has been 3 years 3 months since my last ticket (received in NC). Any and all advice would be helpful. You are more than welcome to email me at [email protected] with your answer.

Thank you

I didn't think anyone drove under 65 in FL :cool:

A PJC is probably not possible for an out of state ticket since it is granted by a Judge in NC.

If a 15 over ticket comes back to NC, your licence will be automatically suspended. You might want to get some help to plea it down in FL.

NC Traffic points

Leigh2005

Still not sure

A little background info on myself:
have had license for 12 years,
have had 4 tickets in 12 years ( Jan. 1998 - April 1998 - March 2002 - and June 2005)

I spoke with a lawyer yesterday and he said that he could possibly help me by going before a judge on my behalf showing my driving record with a plea of " No Contest". The lawyer said that he felt confident that the judge would would see my driving record and dismiss the ticket, but of course he couldn't guarantee anything. All this for a whopping $250.00. (If I just pay the fines, its $205.50)

The lawyer also told me what you said Robbie, I couldn't claim PJC.

I also asked about getting the ticket reduced. The lawyer said that since Duval county is such a large community that I would have to go before the DA with the request and the patrolman would have to agree with lowering the ticket. The patrolman and I exchanged some harsh words, so that idea is out of the question. (I questioned the patrolman of why he was in middle of the road flagging people down because with him doing that I ended up going off the road due to an 18 wheeler almost hitting me. Granted I was able to safely get back on the road, however, now my vehicle is out of line. Of course, I didn't question the patrolman until after he gave me the ticket... ;) )

I still am unsure as to what to do.

The lawyer seems like a no brainier. You are risking loosing your drivers licence for 30-60 days and a 40+% insurance increase the next three years, do the math and decide.

I just notice the two previous tickets the past three years, the suspension and 40% insurance increase could be much higher.

Leigh2005

Could lose my license

I really am starting to think that I am up the creek without a paddle of here..... :eek: :(

Yes, there is a chance that I could lose my license.....but I really don't know what else to do. Money is a huge issue right now for our family so hiring an attorney is out of the question and the insurance going up is really going to suck.

The only option that I feel that I have at this point is to go to the driver improvement course. However, if NCDMV finds out of this ticket there is a really huge chance that I will lose my license.

I am really confused about this whole thing because I hold a NC drivers license and received the ticket in Florida.

Robbie, thank you so much for the replies, all of your input is helping me tremendously.

I don't see how a driver improvement clinic is going to help you keep your NC licence.

Paying $300-$500 to an attorney now could save you $1,000+ a year in insurance the next three years. Talk to an attorney, may they can work out a payment plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">