• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AIDS case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

briannajoy

What is the name of your state? Washington

I wasn't sure what forum to post in, I posted it on the medical malpractice forum but this seems like it might be more appropriate.

I met and shortly thereafter married a man in 1999. We had unprotected sexual relations during our whole relationship, which lasted until August 2000 (together around 18 months). I found out around February 2000 that he had AIDS, not HIV but AIDS. I am 99.9% sure that he knew about this BEFORE engaging in a relationship with me and exposing me to the virus. The doctor told us he had had it for a long time and it was AIDS, not HIV, in fact he almost died. He was very abusive to me, but that's another issue. The point is, he exposed me to AIDS knowingly by engaging in unprotected intercourse with me. For some reason unknown to me, I never got it (THANK GOD!!). I have been tested many times since then and all have come back negative. That is still besides the point though as the point is he exposed me to it knowingly.

Would I have any kind of a case?

I don't know much about law, that is one of the reasons I didn't pursue this earlier (though I'm not sure if I have a case or not)

Thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not my area of expertise and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that since you (thankfully) suffered no damages, you are not entitled to any recompense. Had you acquired the disease, you would have been entitled to damages.

briannajoy

I found this on a website:

Washington

Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 9A.36.011

Class A Felony

A person is guilty of assault in the first degree if he or she, with intent to inflict great bodily harm, administers, exposes, or transmits to or causes to be taken by another, poison, HIV, or any other destructive or noxious substance.

rmet4nzkx

briannajoy said:
I found this on a website:

Washington

Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 9A.36.011

Class A Felony

A person is guilty of assault in the first degree if he or she, with intent to inflict great bodily harm, administers, exposes, or transmits to or causes to be taken by another, poison, HIV, or any other destructive or noxious substance.
Like I said on the medmal forum, did you report it to the police? Take that statute and report the assult.

briannajoy

Ok, but what is the process, will I need an attorney? What can I expect to happen? I'm just wondering if all this is worth it, but considering everything he did to me, it probably is.

djohnson

It depends on what you want to get out of it. If you want money, then it's probably not worth it. If you want justice then it is. It's up to you what you want out of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">