• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deadline on suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjmj

My husband was involved in a car accident in Texas a year and a half ago and did not have insurance. Even though the women admitted in court it was her fault the judge is making us pay for her car since we didn't have insurance he said it was automatically our fault. I've never heard of that law but if we don't pay the full amount my husband will lose his license. Since my husband drives for a living he'll also lose his job but we can't afford to pay the whole amount at once and they won't accept payments. We've tried to get a loan but been turned down. We were told by the court that we could not appeal the case and that if it wasn't paid in full his license is gone until the debt is paid can they suspend your license forever just because one accident? Doesn't seem fair to me. Please help if he loses his license we lose everything!!!!

T

Tracey

????? If the other driver admitted it was her fault, why was she suing you? If this was a traffic court case against husband for lack of insurance, why was the damage she caused to her own car a factor in his sentence/restitution/fine amount? This is very confusing.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited April 28, 2000).]

M

mrfaust

Boy do I know how you feel! A girl rear ended my car last October (this is in California), and her insurance company has been persuing me ever since (it was her fault, but they want me to pay up). Due to a lack of communication by my insurance company, I didn't have proper coverage, so I don't have anyone on my side fighting for my rights except myself. Even though neither one of us was cited, the DMV suspended my license based on the fact of improper coverage (and it didn't make any difference that the day after the accident, when I found the coverage was wrong, that I went out and got proper coverage when I realized the mistake that was made, they still suspended my license!). Good luck to you. You are undoubtedly going to need it!

F

fishnmagicn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjmj:
My husband was involved in a car accident in Texas a year and a half ago and did not have insurance. Even though the women admitted in court it was her fault the judge is making us pay for her car since we didn't have insurance he said it was automatically our fault. I've never heard of that law but if we don't pay the full amount my husband will lose his license. Since my husband drives for a living he'll also lose his job but we can't afford to pay the whole amount at once and they won't accept payments. We've tried to get a loan but been turned down. We were told by the court that we could not appeal the case and that if it wasn't paid in full his license is gone until the debt is paid can they suspend your license forever just because one accident? Doesn't seem fair to me. Please help if he loses his license we lose everything!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you see, this is what sucks......even though she is 100% guilty, you are the ones who get screwed....according to the law, if you don't have insurance, your vehicle isn't supposed to be on the road.....therefore, you are automatically at fault, because you shouldn't have been there in the first place...
now, I'm not siding with the law, in fact, I think the law is BS .....if you want to drive without insurance, well feel free to do so, however realize if you have an accident, you will be paying a lot of money....
believe me, I feel for ya.....I was in a similar situation....LIFE SUCKS! especially in a situation like you have

I hope somehow it works out for you

J

joannej

I've been involved in two accidents in the
last year and a half. One guy from Nigeria
had a "binder", and didn't pay anything else
to keep the policy in effect.
I was rear-ended by another man who had
a phony insurance card. Neither was given
a ticket for no insurance, because they both
showed proof of insurance. I was not at
fault for either accident, but have to pay
for the second accident out of my own pocket
(damages are very high) so my insurance
company won't drop me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">