• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nkosana

A person claimed I dented his car. He informed his insurance company which reported me to DMV. I am now waiting for a hearing from DMV on my driver license suspension. I informed his insurance company that the I did not cause a dent. Insurance company had me go have my car taken photos and proved that i did not dent the car. I believe a can sue the person who claimed I dented his car but what about the insurance company. The insurace company also refuses to give the information and pictures about the other car. Please advise on the best way to proceed.

H

hazzardco

I am sorry to inform you, but unless your issue is extremely contriversal, or "worthy" <sigh> of a Jerry Springer -beat down- you probably won't get any good advice here. Just look at the otehr topics, there are very few that get any advice at all, and good advice is hard to come by. You may want to hire a REAL lawyer, and forget about this soap opera.. But thats just my good deed for the day. FYI, my words are meant to be taken very lightly, and I mean no offence, but before you waste alot of precious time, research this BBS first.

I

IndNewsSrv

My belief is that the dent has to match any mark or dents on your car.If its something like a car door opening there still could be some paint rust on your door to prove otherwise.see if theres any marks on your car that could match the other person car.If theres no proof...then find out why that person thinks your the suspect and not someone else.Maybe he didnt notice the dent till he got home that night...did he go to several places..malls..stores..etc before he noticed the dent?Or did you really cause the dent and your just trying to get out of it?He needs to prove it was you...he cant say..it was you..and expect money from you...theres has to be evidence..did you have any witnesses that can help you out?Hope this helps a bit.

T

Tracey

If the insurance company has determined that you did not cause the dent, get their opinion in writing. Send a copy to DMV. If DMV still suspends your license, request an administrative hearing to appeal its decision. You can't make the company give you photos if it has already determined that you were not involved in the accident. Once absolved, you have no interest in the case.

You can't sue the insurance company for investigating a claim by one of its insured. That's their job. In fact, you're better off after the investigation, since it has cleared you.

You can't sue the other car owner unless you can prove that s/he knew that you didn't cause the dent. If s/he had a good faith belief or suspicion tht you were involved, you have no claim. Our courts try not to punish people for honest mistakes.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">