• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help-homeowners Insurance Denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FISHA

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?MASSACHUSETTS
MY MOTHER IS AN ELDERLY HOMEOWNER WHO HAS DEFERRED HER PROPERTY TAXES UNDER A PROGRAM OFFERED IN BOSTON.THE TAXES ARE PAID UPON SALE OF THE PROPERTY.THIS IS OFFERED TO ELDERLY SURVIVORS {WIDOWED}.THEREFOR, THE CITY NATURALLY PUTS A LIEN ON THE PROPERTY-MY MOTHER NOW NEEDS HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE TO HAVE MUCH NEEDED WORK DONE TO HER HOUSE.MANY OF THE INSURANCE COMPANIES WONT SELL HER INSURANCE BECAUSE THERE IS A LIEN ON THE PROPERTY.
CAN SHE BE DENIED INSURANCE FROM ALL OF THESE COMPANIES?
IS THERE A LAW IN MASSACHUSETTS PREVENTING YOU FROM BEING DENIED INSURANCE?
WHAT CAN WE DO?
PLEASE HELP...AT MY WHITS END

claimlaw

Other than the obvious reasons for having insurance, why would she necessarily need HO coverage in order to have work done at her home?

Insurance companies don't refuse to write coverage because there is a lien. They don't give a rats ass whether there is a lien or not. In the event of a claim they will list as co-payees; your mother and any lienholders.

In-fact, if the City of Boston holds a substantial lien they should require her to have HO coverage naming the City as an additional insured so as to protect their insurable interests.

I think you need to get better information.

Claimlaw

More than likely they won't cover the property because of the needed repairs. Insurance companies are not going to pay for work that needs to be done prior to the policy...if they did, everyone would wait until a claim happened to get insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">