• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SPEED CONTEST

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leaus

Last tuesday, 5-2-2000, I was driving on a street marked 45 mph. The streets name is Harbor her in Orange County CA. I was driving my friend to pick up his car and then was going to go pick up my fiancee from her work so i was speeding a little bit. I was several car lengths ahead of the rest of the cars. There weren't many cars or traffic. I noticed a Mustang cutting in and out of traffic behind me and he was comming up fast. But i just maintained my speed which was about 65 mph. I did not speed up or slow down and just went on with what i was doing. I slowed down and stopped at the approaching red light and came to a complete and safe stop. I noticed the mustang make a right turn and didn't pay any attention to it any longer. A few moments went by and i looked over to my left side and noticed an officer at the back half of my car looking it over. I went back talking to my friend and didn't think about it again. A few moments later the officer on the motorcycle tapped on my door and told me to pull into the parking lot across the street. so i did so. He asked for my lic. and reg. and then he asked me if i was raceing the mustang, and i said, "No, not really." And then he asked me if i knew who the mustang was and i said no. He asked me if i saw where the mustang went and i said i think he turned at the light. He then told me that he had lasered me going at 86 mph. I didn't say anyhing to him and he showed me the mph he has clocked me. On the ticket he wrote "speed contest" which translates me having my car impounded up to 30 days, and an appearance in court. I was real nice to the officer and he was the same to me. He said that I might have a chance to get my car back if i called the traffic seargent and told him of my situation. My situation is that that is my only car, and i have to travel about 100 miles aday for work. I cannot borrow my fiances car be cause the insurance will not cover it. I spoke to the traffic officer and he said he couldn't do anything about it, but i could call the court liason to see if my case is going to be tried or not. The maximum fine is around a thousand dollars. What should i do??? I checked the speed contest law and its pretty vauge on what constitutes a speed contest. The distance travel in this supposed speed contest is about 1/8 of a mile. and i honestly was not going 86 mph nor was i racing. How should i go about this?

J

jd

You may want to seriously consider having an attorney handle this for you. It may be less expensive in the long run to pay soem legal fees and possibly beat the charges or get the charge or the penalty reduced - than to face missing work or having to rent a car for the month that yours will be in impound.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">