• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son hurt at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexs0628

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

My son fell in his third grade classroom, chipped his two front teeth and cut his lip. (10 very expensive stitches and he now has a scar.) The teacher left the room for a few minutes and the boys started swinging between the desks. My son slipped and fell face first into the tile floor. The school refused to cover the medical bills. My husband still wants to sue the school since our son will also need his two front teeth capped once he's old enough. (He's thirteen now. Right now the teeth are fixed with a plastic material.) Is it worth suing the school? My son does have a permanent scar on his lip. If the teacher didn't leave the room, this would not have happened.

You Are Guilty

alexs0628 said:

My son fell in his third grade classroom, chipped his two front teeth and cut his lip. (10 very expensive stitches and he now has a scar.) The teacher left the room for a few minutes and the boys started swinging between the desks. My son slipped and fell face first into the tile floor. The school refused to cover the medical bills. My husband still wants to sue the school since our son will also need his two front teeth capped once he's old enough. (He's thirteen now. Right now the teeth are fixed with a plastic material.) Is it worth suing the school? My son does have a permanent scar on his lip. If the teacher didn't leave the room, this would not have happened.
Thank you for this gripping tale of excess and woe. I was enraptured till the exciting conclusion. However, in response to your (non-legal) question, my answer is "only if you're independantly wealthy and really feel like sharing that wealth with a local attorney".

You are aware that sometimes teachers leave the room. I hope you didn't expect teachers to be in the room every second of the day. What if he/she had to use the restroom? Did you talk to your son about playing in the classroom????

The statute of limitations for personal injury is 2 years.

djohnson

jpritchett81 said:
You are aware that sometimes teachers leave the room. I hope you didn't expect teachers to be in the room every second of the day. What if he/she had to use the restroom? Did you talk to your son about playing in the classroom????

The statute of limitations for personal injury is 2 years.
I wondered about the SOL.

OP are you saying this happened 5 years ago, or that your 13 year old is in the 3rd grade? Really you are out of luck either way.

racer72

When your son gets on the stand and admits in court that it was horseplay that caused the injuries, your case will end right then. Besides, you probably signed a waiver of liability when you enrolled your son in the school which means they can't be held liable for actions they can't control, such as students swinging between desks while the teacher is out of the classroom.

MandyD

alexs0628 said:

If the teacher didn't leave the room, this would not have happened.
Ding Dong, you're wrong!! If your son wasn't acting like an ass, this wouldn't have happened. Teachers are there to teach, not babysit!

janedoe23

What if he would have done it at home???? He used your kitchen counter tops to swing like a monkey, would you sue the company who made the counter tops or perhaps the people who installed them?

badlands

Why would anyone want to sue the school that their child attends??boys will be boys and horse play is a part of boys growing up, infact if my son didn't horse play and rough house I would be concerned

alexs0628

Statute of limitations for a minor is two years after his/her 18th birthday. Also, up to the age of seven, a child must be watched at all times in a classroom because the child is not considered capable enough to make safe decisions. The school district here has recently added liability insurance BECAUSE they are being held responsible for injuries on school property. And I never signed a waiver. In my opinion, since my son was eight, he caused his own accident. It's my husband who wants to sue. I'm still right and he's still wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">