• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

171% Assessment Fee in California!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

California

I WON a ticket in California for a CHILD RESTRAINTS REQUIREMENTS (VC 27260A).

According to VC 27360(c)(1), fine for the first offense is $100. However, I called the Court and they told me that the fine is $271 because of the 171% assessment fee.
WHAT IS THAT?!?

BTW, I had a child seat in the car, but my (very hungry and nervous) baby was breastfeeded by his mama on the back seat.

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Congratulation !

It's the administrative penalty. You should see what the total fine is for No Seatbelts, or driving without insurance. You could go Bankrupt!

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited May 24, 2000).]

C

California

Administrative penalty - WHY - WHAT'S THE RATIONALE? Can it be waived?

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by California:
Administrative penalty - WHY - WHAT'S THE RATIONALE? Can it be waived?

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

It is an amount which is added to all fines and for bail for infractions and low grade misdemeanor offenses. It is charged pursuant to Government Code Section 76000 and Penal Code Section 1464 of the State of California. According to the law, the amount of the Penalty Assessment is $17.00 for every $10.00 or portion thereof of the fine or bail.

Example:
If one is fined $25.00, the Penalty Assessment charge will be $51.00 (3 X $17.00), plus the original fine of $25.00, plus any other assessment.
For every $17.00 of assessment collected, the money is allocated as follows:
$10.00 State Penalty Fund (1464 PC)
$7.00 County Penalty Fund (76000 GC)
The Penalty Assessment amount is subject to change by the legislature.

If you want to know the purpose, read both Code sections that I have listed.

Waived? You've got to be kidding.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited May 25, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">