• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA Reckless Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aisyd

What is the name of your state? WV

Was recently pulled over in VA for doing 76/55, which is reckless (20 mph over posted speed limit). Reckless in VA is a pretty serious offense, a class 1 misdemeanor....Should I hire a lawyer to try and get it reduced? I have a perfect driving record (no offenses in past 10 years, and before that one "no fault" accident--no speeding tickets, ever) Does anyone have any familiarity with VA courts, or suggestions based on their own experience???

Thanks much,

Last edited:

trafficguy5

Always get a lawyer in VA. If you don't you probably have no chance to get it reduced. Infact, the lawyers already have your name which they bought from the VA court system. You should start getting mail from lawyers in the mail asking you to hire them. The whole VA system is corrupt

fedcop110

Well I don't know about the whole VA system being corrupt. I have worked and lived here for quite a while and have found "the system" to be fair.

As far as whether or not you should hire an attorney, of course you should. A class 1 misdemeanor in the Commonwealth of Virginia carries up to 12 months in jail and a $2500 fine. With a 76mph in a 55mph you have a fairly good chance of getting the charge reduced from reckless to speeding. Good luck.

The emperor has no cloths

A law pushed through legislature by attorneys threatening 12 mo in jail and a $2,500 fine for simple speeding unless you hire an attorney isn't corrupt?

aisyd

I'm concerned about obtaining a costly attorney, especially being out of state. I have more faith in the officers and the judge than an attorney, and don't mean to be offensive--that has just been my past experience. That being said, I have seen on another post, that someone was recommended to call the police officer that gave them the ticket to see if they would agree with reducing the charge....Is that offensive/harrassment to the police officer, or worthy of a shot?

This question is especially directed at fedcop, as he clearly is/has been a VA policeman.

lwpat

If you show up in court with a certified MVR that is clean they will usually reduce it to a speeding violation and the fine is around 500. Everything depends on the court. The violation will be reported back to your home state and show for insurance.

You can show up and see what is happening and then decide. Simply ask for a continuance to obtain an attorney.

Usually clients with an attorney get the best deals and go first.

fedcop110

That being said, I have seen on another post, that someone was recommended to call the police officer that gave them the ticket to see if they would agree with reducing the charge....Is that offensive/harrassment to the police officer, or worthy of a shot?
Personally, if I had issued you a citation for reckless by speed, then that is what I would be going to court with.

As far as not wanting to obtain an attorney. You don't have to, it is entirely your decision. However, it has been my experience that a reliable attorney helps. Again, you have a fairly good shot at getting the charge dropped from reckless to speed, but it is entirely up to you whether or not you hire an attorny.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">