• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jury question, failure to yield

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pcguy74

Hello,
I was stopped back in Feb. for multiple "violations". Once stopped, after being followed for 7 miles. I argued the violations, with the officer. (which I never do until court) He didn't admit my being correct, but only gave me a violation for "failure to yield while making a left had turn".
I requested trial by jury, paid my fee and had my trial rescheduled already, since the judge had no idea I had paid my fee for jury.
Now I have a real problem, my witness is moving out of state and won't be able to be at the trial, how do I take a deposition, etc.?
Also, I have no idea what jury questions are?
I have defended myself in front of judges and helped my friends but I've never had a tiral go this far. It looks as though the trial will happen, all for $169 and 4 points, hmmm.
Thanks in advance. (Final Pre-trial is June 1st, trial on the 7th)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcguy74:
Hello,
I was stopped back in Feb. for multiple "violations". Once stopped, after being followed for 7 miles. I argued the violations, with the officer. (which I never do until court) He didn't admit my being correct, but only gave me a violation for "failure to yield while making a left had turn".
I requested trial by jury, paid my fee and had my trial rescheduled already, since the judge had no idea I had paid my fee for jury.
Now I have a real problem, my witness is moving out of state and won't be able to be at the trial, how do I take a deposition, etc.?
Also, I have no idea what jury questions are?
I have defended myself in front of judges and helped my friends but I've never had a tiral go this far. It looks as though the trial will happen, all for $169 and 4 points, hmmm.
Thanks in advance. (Final Pre-trial is June 1st, trial on the 7th)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Subpeona the witness before they move. That way, they are under court order to appear for the trial, and testify. Are you asking about "Jury Instructions"? Or, are you asking for "Voir Dire" questions to help you "select" jurors for impanelment?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

P

pcguy74

The questions are supposed to be Jury Instructions. I do not know what they really are supposed to be like. I'm assuming they are to "set" the mood of the trial and tell them what questions I am attempting to provide proof for so they can make a decision. Is there anywhere with examples? Also I don't have a clue about the jury elimination questions either at the jury selection. But I know what angles I'll try to take but don't know the format to ask the questions in.
As for subpeona for a witness, I feel bad doing that to a cousin, could cause hard feelings but I guess, my butt or the subpeona! What if they don't show? Jail time for them? or a trial reschedule?
Thanks again!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcguy74:
The questions are supposed to be Jury Instructions. I do not know what they really are supposed to be like. I'm assuming they are to "set" the mood of the trial and tell them what questions I am attempting to provide proof for so they can make a decision. Is there anywhere with examples? Also I don't have a clue about the jury elimination questions either at the jury selection. But I know what angles I'll try to take but don't know the format to ask the questions in.
As for subpeona for a witness, I feel bad doing that to a cousin, could cause hard feelings but I guess, my butt or the subpeona! What if they don't show? Jail time for them? or a trial reschedule?
Thanks again!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You'll have to go to a Law Library for the following materials and make copies:

Voir Dire: Imagine if you will, a bunch of "prospective" jurors sitting in the jury box. In turn, you ask each of them questions about their likes, dislikes, what they do for a living, their driving records, etc. It's a legal/trial "interview" to determine if you want a prospective juror to remain at your trial, or be dismissed, to be replaced by someone else. You may have up to 3 opportunities (peremptory challenges) to get rid of the worst ones, and have to live and die with the rest for the duration of your trial.

Jury Instructions: After both you and the prosecution have rested their respective sides of the case, jury instructions are prepared instructions that are read to the jurors. You and the prosecutor review them with the judge for acceptance or rejection BEFORE the trial begins. If accepted, and after both side have rested the case, they are then read to the jury by the judge in order to guide the jurors in their deliberations in terms of the facts and evidence.

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

P

pcguy74

Thanks for the help. I worked on my voir dire questions and had copies ready to use to help select the jury in my favor. I also had my jury instructions based on different online info and what I found in the law library. I also had made a jury verdict form to let the judge approve. I got there ready for the final pre-trial today and the District Attorney moved to dismiss. I'm glad I had some help and glad I spent the time doing my homework. No points, no fine. Now that's the justice system at work. Believe it or not, I can't say I'd want to go through this all again but it was a good learning experience!
Thanks again.
Troy

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Thanks for the help. I worked on my voir dire questions and had copies ready to use to help select the jury in my favor. I also had my jury instructions based on different online info and what I found in the law library. I also had made a jury verdict form to let the judge approve. I got there ready for the final pre-trial today and the District Attorney moved to dismiss. I'm glad I had some help and glad I spent the time doing my homework. No points, no fine. Now that's the justice system at work. Believe it or not, I can't say I'd want to go through this all again but it was a good learning experience!
Thanks again.
Troy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Congratulations, Troy !! Now, isn't law fun?

IAAL

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">