• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Challenge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sschiffman

What is the name of your state? CT

I received a ticket in Massachusetts for going 84 in a 65 zone. I have a few questions:

1) The ticket correctly indicates my drivers license as being from CT, but incorrectly indicates my car being registered in MA. Do I have a chance of avoiding the negative impact on my insurance?

2) The ticket has choices of "Posted", "Not Posted" and "LIDAR" -- it's the latter one that was checked. What is LIDAR?

3) The ticket also indicates that my speed was estimated -- do I have a reasonable basis on which to contest it? What's the best way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TYRIS

1) The ticket correctly indicates my drivers license as being from CT, but incorrectly indicates my car being registered in MA. Do I have a chance of avoiding the negative impact on my insurance?
-Probably not unless you win in court or take traffic school.

2) The ticket has choices of "Posted", "Not Posted" and "LIDAR" -- it's the latter one that was checked. What is LIDAR?
-The radar system used by the Officer.

3) The ticket also indicates that my speed was estimated -- do I have a reasonable basis on which to contest it? What's the best way?
-I'm not familiar with how Officers operate in your state, but in California, most Officers do a visual estimation of speed and then confirm their estimation with the radar unit. On our citations their is a place towrite in the visual estimation and then another box to write in the radar speed.

Are you trying to contest the ticket because you didn't do it or are you just trying to find a way out of paying the fine?

Either way, heres some things you can try:

1) Research the code section that you were cited.

2) Check the traffic survey for the area that you were cited and when the last one was completed.

3) Make sure the Officer that cited you is certified to use the lidar.

4) When was the last time the lidar was calibrated. Did the Officer test the calibration?

5) Check the calibration of your speedometer to make sure that is working properly.

6) When you go to court wear nice clothes (I would suggest suit and tie), no shorts, jeans, or t-shirts.

7) When you present your case, articulate it with facts of why you were not going the speed that the Officer cited you for.

DO NOT use "I don't think I was going that fast" as a defense. It usually doesn't work. Judges like facts not supposition. REMEMBER: The Officer is going to to come into court with FACTS of why you were cited.

-If you do the afore mentioned you might have a chance. I personally like it (and it impresses me) when someone I issue a citation to takes the time to research the information enough to make court challenging.

If you don't want to do the above said advice, plead no contest and take traffic school.

Good luck

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">