• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer Injuried at my Store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Edward2

What is the name of your state? GA

I own a convenience store/gas station which has a deli that serves breakfast and lunch. Last week a customer came to the store and said that he had broken a tooth on a ham biscuit he had purchased from the store. I told the guy that I would be willing to pay for any dental repair bills. He went to the dentist and got an estimate for the repairs and faxed it to me. I called him and said that I would like for him to sign a release waiver prior to my mailing a check to the dentist's office. He said that he did not have a problem signing such a waiver, but he did want the check made out in his name. I would not agree to that, so he suggested putting both his name and the dentist's name on the check.

My question is what should I do? Should I put both names on the check and mail the check to the dentist, or should I only put the dentist's name on the check? I should mention that my employees have told me that this guy has a reputation for filing false claims. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

JETX

Edward2 said:
My question is what should I do?
Of course no one can tell you what to do.... partly because we don't have all the details. For example, your post makes no mention of the amount of the claim, or even whether there is a statement from the dentist as to how recent the damage is.... or an opinion as to whether it may have occurred as he claims.

I wouldn't pay anything without at least those two opinions.... and some 'proof' that the injury occurred as he claims. Did he make the claim IMMEDIATELY after the incident?? What did the person bring with him to indicate that you were some how at fault??

Edward2

Thank you for the quick response and the suggestions. Maybe you can tell that I am nervous about the possibility of being sued. I have only been in business for 2 months now, and I do not have any experience in dealing with this type situation. I guess I wasn't even sure of what questions to ask and what information to request from the guy.

All I know so far is that he says he has the tooth and the biscuit if I need it, and that he faxed me a quote from his dentist to have the work done, which consists of an x-ray and a crown. The estimate is for $1066.00.

How should I go about requesting the additional information you suggested? Should I simply ask the guy for a letter from the dentist? Can I contact the dentist directly (or does that fall under Doctor/patient priviledge)?

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">