• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to yield at a stop light [NJ]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinzsama

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I recently recieved a ticket for failure to yield at a stop light. In many ways it's the usual case of continuing through the intersection during a yellow light and then having the light turn red. But at the same time there were circumstances that may (or at least I'm hoping so) make a difference. For one I had stopped at that very intersection on a yellow light coming from the opposite direction. It took a good whole minute and a half to turn red. In the mean time the much larger and more impatient cars were inching closer in annoyance to my little red honda. Eventually the light turned red and there was nothing more to do. The next time around I was entering the intersection as the light turned yellow, and then a sudden red just as I was close to exiting the intersection. The police officer pulled me over and asked me what I thought I had done wrong, and I responded, "Could it be because I just missed a red light?" and in turn he said, "No, you ran right through it." Which makes me wonder where he was looking from when he saw this. But of course, it'll be my word against his, and being a young kid driving in a college town, ..versus a police officer, I'm bound to lose out.

My question is (since I have no law experience or knowledge on procedure and guidelines) what should I do? What are my options? And is there any way at all to avoid the horror of a raise in insurance rates?

lwpat

You can go back to the intersection and time the yellow. If it is set too quick the run a video and present it as evidence. Normal is 4 seconds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">