• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support. Is SHE liable to pay me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guitarzan12005

FLORIDA

questions: Since I provide for my older 2 (16, 13-live in), is child support needed for her, for one child (5)? It seems like a wash. She makes more than me. (I did help her thru school- it was during our marriage she received her degree) Is she liable to pay me?
Is alimony a question since we were married so long- 14 years? Is she liable to pay me?
FL has a residency requirement of 6 months, is that 6 months for her, or myself prior to filing for separation/divorce?
She wants to buy a condo for herself and the youngest, is it best to wait until we are legally separated/divorced? I don't want to be liable for anything she does after our split. Same note, can I buy a house or is it best to wait?

LdiJ

guitarzan12005 said:
FLORIDA

questions: Since I provide for my older 2 (16, 13-live in), is child support needed for her, for one child (5)? It seems like a wash. She makes more than me. (I did help her thru school- it was during our marriage she received her degree) Is she liable to pay me?
When each parent has custody of children the way it normally works is that its calculated what amount each would owe the other for child support, and the one with the highest amount pays the difference between the two. For example: If you would owe child support of 400.00 for the child in her custody, and she would owe 600.00 for the two children in your custody, then she would be ordered to pay child support of 200.00. (600-400)

Is alimony a question since we were married so long- 14 years? Is she liable to pay me?
It could be an issue. It depends a great deal on just how wide the difference is in your incomes.

FL has a residency requirement of 6 months, is that 6 months for her, or myself prior to filing for separation/divorce?
Its for whoever files the divorce case.

She wants to buy a condo for herself and the youngest, is it best to wait until we are legally separated/divorced? I don't want to be liable for anything she does after our split. Same note, can I buy a house or is it best to wait?
Its best not to make major purchases until after the divorce is final.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">