• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

virginiaann

What is the name of your state?
Alabama

I live in a common law state. My husband and myself purchased a home together before we were married but could only use my credit beause his at the time was no good and I was told by the manufacture home dealer it was best to put in my name now for purchasing and then latter I can add him to it. Well, we never got around to adding him to the mortgage. We both lived together for 5 years before getting married two years ago and he has put alot of hard work into the house. I have left him in Feb of 05 and am now renting and he has the home. I do not want the home. My question is can I have the house deeded to him and make him responsible for the payment on the house which he wants anyway and also let him claim the 1099 int on the mortgage even tho the house in my name. I know the loan will stay in my name but I want the house to belong solely to him. I am trying to purchase a house now and the other residense is hendering me for another home purchase. My husband wants the house. The home and land appraises less than what is owed so that is keeping him from refinaning unless he can come up with $13,00.00. He can afford the house and has now since Feb been paying the note himself. I want to buy a home for myself but the other place is getting in my way with the debt to ratio thing. I thougt maybe going ahead and file for divorce and have it put in legal documents that he is responsible for the home it would help me be able to purchase.
Thanks for listening
want a house bad!!!

Last edited:

LdiJ

virginiaann said:
What is the name of your state?
Alabama

I live in a common law state. My husband and myself purchased a home together before we were married but could only use my credit beause his at the time was no good and I was told by the manufacture home dealer it was best to put in my name now for purchasing and then latter I can add him to it. Well, we never got around to adding him to the mortgage. We both lived together for 5 years before getting married two years ago and he has put alot of hard work into the house. I have left him in Feb of 05 and am now renting and he has the home. I do not want the home. My question is can I have the house deeded to him and make him responsible for the payment on the house which he wants anyway and also let him claim the 1099 int on the mortgage even tho the house in my name. I know the loan will stay in my name but I want the house to belong solely to him. I am trying to purchase a house now and the other residense is hendering me for another home purchase. My husband wants the house. The home and land appraises less than what is owed so that is keeping him from refinaning unless he can come up with $13,00.00. He can afford the house and has now since Feb been paying the note himself. I want to buy a home for myself but the other place is getting in my way with the debt to ratio thing. I thougt maybe going ahead and file for divorce and have it put in legal documents that he is responsible for the home it would help me be able to purchase.
Thanks for listening
want a house bad!!!
Unless he can refinance in his own name you cannot improve your debt to income ratio. Putting him on the deed solely, accomplishes nothing. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">