• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MA Speeding/First ticket/hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a45

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MASSACHUSETTS/CONNECTICUT

Hello,

I received a speeding ticket (80 in 65 zone) last week on the Turnpike. I am 30 years old, licensed in CT, and never received a single moving violation in 14 years of driving. The officer told me that he is giving me a break by citing this law (7.08.1a) rather than 90/18 or 90/17 and assessing only a $50 fine. He also gave me a warning for failing to keep right. From my understanding, this is still a moving violation and will go on my record. Is it worth requesting a trial, driving 80 miles there, and asking for leniency since this is my first traffic ticket?

Furthermore, it seems that massachusetts is not a signatory to the DLC (http://www.dui.com/dmvinformation/compact.html). Does this help in my case, as I don't plan to live in Massachusetts in the near future?

thanks,

aa

CODE OF MASSACHUSETTS REGULATIONS
TITLE 730: MASSACHUSETTS TURNPIKE AUTHORITY
CHAPTER 7.00: USE OF THE MASSACHUSETTS TURNPIKE AND THE
METROPOLITAN HIGHWAY SYSTEM
7.08: Traffic. Operation, and Safety
(1) Signs and Orders.
(a) Signs. The Authority erects signs on ways to implement the provisions of 730 CMR 7.00, for purposes of trial use, or in the event of an emergency. A person may not disobey a sign unless a toll collector or Massachusetts State Police officer directs otherwise. A person may not purposefully strike, move, deface, injure, obstruct, or interfere with a sign. A person may not, in any manner or by any means, erect or otherwise deploy any sign, signal, marking, or any other device that would be a sign if the Authority deployed it, except with the approval, and at the direction, of the Authority.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">