• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Home Before Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stratus

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I owned my home before the marriage. The marriage lasted 2 1/2 years. We put a sizable amount of money in this home. I am now told he is entitled to half of the equity. Through this marriage he was a drunk and treated me very poorly to the point I was sick and my hair was falling out. My question is am I now going to have to pay this person on top of everything he has done to me?

LdiJ

stratus said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
I owned my home before the marriage. The marriage lasted 2 1/2 years. We put a sizable amount of money in this home. I am now told he is entitled to half of the equity. Through this marriage he was a drunk and treated me very poorly to the point I was sick and my hair was falling out. My question is am I now going to have to pay this person on top of everything he has done to me?
He is not entitled to half of the total equity. He is entitled to half of the equity that accrued during the marriage.....assuming that you did not put him on the deed. If you did, then he may be entitled to half of the total equity.
You need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">