• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clueless

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Traxius

What is the name of your state? I am a resident of Rhode Island.

My ex wife has custody of my 3 children and is moving to West Virginia with the children. I only found this out from my daughters a few weeks ago because they were very upset that thier mother was selling the house and moving to WV and they were told not to inform me of this.

I called my Ex wife about this and was told by her that she had custody of the children and I had no say in the matter at all and that she could move anywhere she wanted without me having any choice. In the divorce agreement it was stated visitation was agreed upon between the parties so it was never entered into the paper work. I still have the paper my ex and I wrote up and signed about what our visitation would be. It is clearly stated I would get the kids on Saturday and have acces to the children at any day if I gave at least 24 hours notice of when I wanted to have them.

The reason she said she did not inform me they were moving was she did not want any drama about the move and that I had no say in the matter anyways.

Well the house has been sold and my ex moved to WV about a month ago leaving the children behind with her new husband till the school year ends
here. They will not give me a date as to when the move is going to happen or an adress as to where they will be moving to. The children are living in a 2 bedroom apartment with thier step father and my ex wifes brother and his gay partner and her Aunt. I am unhappy with this living arrangement for my children to be honest with you. 2 Rooms and 7 people living in one place. Have not been let in to see what the sleeping arrangments and the children ahve been told not to inform me of anything that is going on anymore and are unhappy about it.

What kind of recourse do I have here?

Does my ex need my permission to move the kids away in RI law?

I am low income and can not afford a lawyer ATM and could use some advice on what to do here.

My children have been thru a divorce and I dont want to make this into a huge scarring experience for them to be honest with you, they have been thru enough as it is. If there is nothing I can do about this I will probably re locate to WV to be closer to them but really not looking forward to leaving a lifetime of friends and family behind. :(

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">