• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California 30 day impound

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

webworld

What is the name of your state? california.

My vehicle is under a 30 day impound as a result of a citation for unlicenced driver in california. After the 30 days can the tow company still hold my vehicle hostage pending payment of tow and storage fees?

Thank you for your help!!!

TYRIS

webworld said:

My vehicle is under a 30 day impound as a result of a citation for unlicenced driver in california. After the 30 days can the tow company still hold my vehicle hostage pending payment of tow and storage fees?

-If you refuse or are unable to pay the storage fees after the 30 day impound, the tow company will start a lien process and sell your vehicle to pay for the tow and storage fees.

Tyris

Tony31

webworld said:

Your vehicle is under a 30-day because you got stopped on either a suspended or no license and you had a previous
14601 (sus) or 12500(no lic) conviction. If you can obtain yr license ASAP and present it to the arresting agency, they may release your vehicle early, and the impound fee will be less. You'll still have to go to court on the no license charge. If you got cited for 14601, the court may reduce it to a 12500 if you can prove you didnt know you were suspended.

TYRIS

Tony31 said:
Your vehicle is under a 30-day because you got stopped on either a suspended or no license and you had a previous
14601 (sus) or 12500(no lic) conviction. If you can obtain yr license ASAP and present it to the arresting agency, they may release your vehicle early, and the impound fee will be less. You'll still have to go to court on the no license charge. If you got cited for 14601, the court may reduce it to a 12500 if you can prove you didnt know you were suspended.

-The poster stated that they received a citation for unlicensed driver which would be 12500(a) CVC.

The code section the vehicle was towed under was 14602.6 CVC which specifies:

14602.6. (a) Whenever a peace officer determines that a person was
driving a vehicle while his or her driving privilege was suspended or
revoked or without ever having been issued a driver's license, the
peace officer may either immediately arrest that person and cause the
removal and seizure of that vehicle or, if the vehicle is involved
in a traffic collision, cause the removal and seizure of the vehicle,
without the necessity of arresting the person in accordance with
Chapter 10 (commencing with Section 22650) of Division 11. A vehicle
so impounded shall be impounded for 30 days.

You do not need a prior 12500(a) CVC or 14601.1(a)/14601.2(a) CVC to have your vehicle towed for thirty days.

If the poster fails to pay or refuses to pay the tow fee, his vehicle will be sold to pay for the cost.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">