• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket dismissal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jman05

What is the name of your state?Texas

I have a question that has to do with my ticket. I totally went through a stop sign at 60 miles an hour on a feeder road where the speed limit is posted 55 (that I had not been on before and the stop sign was partially blocked by a wrong way sign facing the opposite direction. On the ticket the police officer wrote i was doing 60 in a 50 which is wrong, also wrote I was driving a 2000 toyota when I'm driving a 94, and also did not get my address right. Is it possible to get this ticet dismissed or should I just go ahead and take defensive driving.

Bcar1463

If you are able to go back to the location this occured, it might help clear up a few things. For a stop-sign in that speed limit, there should be a warning sign for the stop before you get there. Also, the stop sign must be clearly visable. Take pictures of all this, including what the sign looked like as you approached it. Check the state law for specifics on measurments and such. If these things were not in compliance, then you might have something there. The cops clerical mistakes are easily corrected and probably won't make a difference as they don't stop you from defending yourself.

Curt581

Bcar1463 said:
If you are able to go back to the location this occured, it might help clear up a few things. For a stop-sign in that speed limit, there should be a warning sign for the stop before you get there. Also, the stop sign must be clearly visable. Take pictures of all this, including what the sign looked like as you approached it. Check the state law for specifics on measurments and such. If these things were not in compliance, then you might have something there. The cops clerical mistakes are easily corrected and probably won't make a difference as they don't stop you from defending yourself.
Yes... he should bring a tape measure and a ladder to determine if the stop sign is of regulation size.

He should also make certain that it's octagonal in shape, RED, and has STOP written on it in block lettering.

After all, he's not from that area, and stop signs may be different where he comes from.

:rolleyes:

Bcar1463

I mean more like the spacing between the signs. For example, the warning sign is ### feet before the stop, and the stop sign is visable for ### feet before you reach it. If the poster is being honest about the whole thing (and I assume they are, no reason to try to trick us...) it seems like he just couldn't see the stop until it was too late, I don't think anyone would purposly go through a stop sign at 60mph. But if they missed the warning sign, assuming it is there, there really isn't much that can be done.
But, I do remember someone who did actually get off because the speed limit sign didn't have the correct size of text on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">