• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to stop/yeld (39:4-144): NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dw0001

New Jersey

Situation: Motor vehicle accident resulting from "failure to observe stop or yield signs" (NJ 39:4-144). Probable plea: Guilty (because it is a 2 point offense).

There were, unfortunately, vehicle damages and minor personal injury that resulted from the accident.

My question: how do we ask the judge to "seal" or "mark" the plea and verdict that it cannot be used in any civil suit that may come out of this? It does not appear that any civil action is being pursuied, but I'd feel better protecting ourselves in this way.

dw0001

Failure to stop/yield

Thank you for you reply, but I believe it may not be consistent with NJ state law (although it may be correct for other states).

I have read (and heard, from a co-worker who hired council) that one can "...protect yourself from civil suits. If there was an accident, ask the judge so that it cannot be used in a later civil case..."

My question is what to ask the judge: Should one ask "that the verdict be sealed" or is it to "mark the plea", or something entirely different than either of these?

Thanks all

Curt581

Verdicts are determinations resulting from being found guilty after a trial. Judges don't 'seal' verdicts in traffic cases. They are public record.

You might be able to plead "No Contest", and have that result unavailable to use against you in a civil trial.

Check with the Clerk of Courts in your area.

dw0001

Confused by answers

I am a bit confused by the answers posted to my original question.

If the posts are correct, can someone explain what is meant by a "civil reservation"?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">