• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DOT Medical Review?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Matthew Hey

What is the name of your state? NC. I recently moved back to NC from Ohio, where I'd lived for two years (I lived in NC before that). I have had (2) DWI's in NC, one in 1991, the other in 1997. I have a Commercial Driver's License and have had no M.V. related offenses of any type since that last DWI in 1997 (none involving an accident or commercial M.V.). In 2001, NC required me to have a "DOT Medical Review," citing a "history of alcohol related offenses." I had the review, and everything went fine. I moved to Ohio. Ohio said that the medical reviews where strictly a "NC thing." I drove safely another two years, in Ohio, then moved back to NC this past year. Within three days of me transferring my Class A CDL to NC, I received a letter from DMV/DOT requesting a "Substance Abuse Evaluation." I paid the money, and submitted it (I have not yet received their reply). My question is, how long do these reviews continue? Do I have any legal recourse to contest these reviews? Does my eight-year safe driving record not mitigate anything? Thanks! mat in WNC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">