• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lack of ventilation concern

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rinan

What is the name of your state? California

I work at a company that pours cat litter refills. The cat litter is a clumping clay-based formula, both scented and unscented. My problem is that a lot of dust and fumes come up and there is a lack of ventilation at the machine that pours the litter out. There is a plastic flap in the front that does not meet all the way, which is usually fastened open anyway.

My breathing seems to be worse on days that I have to be around the machine a lot. It often gets so bad that I begin coughing. I have also had colds and sinus problems more frequently since I started working here. I have talked to co-workers and I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

I'm not to the point of wanting to sue the company-- I just want to prevent major health problems before they happen. I'd like to know how to go about finding out just how dangerous breathing these fumes in on a daily basis is, and how I should go about making this a safer enviroment for myself if this is what's worsening my respiratory problems lately. (I have already expressed my concern with management and they don't seem to care).

dtm1966

You will actually need to go through OSHA since the "pollution" occurs on the company site, not off site. And you should be concerned since particulate matter even if it is natural such as clay is bad for the lungs if you are exposed chronically. I would contact the OSHA office for your state and see if they will come out and check the ventilation. Or ask your company formally for an industrial hygiene assesment or just ask them to provide you and the other workers with the proper PPE. HEPA dust masks are usually very efective in removing most is not all of the types of particulate. Make sure they are HEPA filters unlass you know the size of the particulates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">