• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Restraint Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjbarr1

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

I always ensure the safety of our children by properly buckling them up. I was pulled over recently and given a ticket for $75 for "31-22-22 B" which is child restraint for a child 7-12. We told and tried to show the officer that our 7 year old was buckled in. The kids (ages 4 and 7) were sitting in the jump deats of my extended cab pickup. The officer said "can you explain why the child was hanging out the window"...an exaggeration....my 4 year old simply had his arm out the small rear sliding window. The officer did not even look in to see if either child was buckled. After pointing to my 4 year olds seatbelt, the officer said "and HE shouldn't be back there either" refering to my 7 year old. I have since learned that my 4 year old should be in a better restraint in my pickup, in the front seat (no air bag). But again, I was cited for the 7 year old and according to the law, he has every right to ride back there as long as he was buckled in, which he was.

Should I just pay this, or take this to court.

kjbarr1

additional question

Does this become my word against the officer's. He didn't even bother to check the kids seatbelts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">