• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MA modified exhaust and speeding citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexbr

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Massuchusetts

Hi All,

I was recently pulled over in western MA for speeding 80 in a 55. I received a citation for speeding, righfully so, and a citation for having a modified exhaust.

I've got two questions:
1. The time of incident is incorrectly labeled as PM as opposed to AM. Is this error enough for a dismissal seeing as the only evidence is the citation itself?

2. My modified exhaust has passed inspection and is not excessively loud, in fact, it's probably quieter (though with a deeper tone) than stock. MA law states:

"No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust."

This allows for complete subjectivity in determining if the exhaust is "illegal". How does the officer know what stock sounds like? How does he determine if the modification is louder when it's relatively close to stock in dB level? Seeing as the exhaust passed inspection, where the above subjective test is performed, shouldn't it have been identified as a legal modification?

Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">