• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MadHatir

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I have three children by my first marriage (Washington) who live with me full-time. My x-husband has supervised visitation. We have been divorced 10 years. Their ages are 15, 13, and 12.

I remarried nearly eight years ago. The children, by their choice, began using my husband's last name. The school and medical offices have agreed to use this name. Now the children need passports and it would appear we must get them in their legal name - that of my x-husband.

Therefore, we are considering seeking a legal name change to that of my current husband.

Various sites I have been on indicate that as they are minors, we should engage an attorney for the proceedings. However, the matter seems to be very straight forward and one we should be able to handle on our own.

Your advice please.

truciet

State: Not really known-One of pennsylvania,new jersey or new york

I wish to file a name change petition,more specifically a petition to change the spelling of my name.
I was born in Summit New Jersey after which my parents moved to Nanuet New York.AFter about 5 years in Nanuet my parents moved out of the United States and i moved with them.we used to visit frequently but never beyond 60 days.I registered as an absentee voter in the state of new york.

Now i have moved back and am living in the state of Pennsylvania in a relatives house.My question is Where do i file my name change petition ? In New York (because i guess i am a resident there at this point) or New Jersey (because i was born there) or Pennsylvania (because i am here now but i havent registered as a voter just yet.)

Please do reply to my unique situation

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">