• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA Reckless Driving (94/65) w/ Quebec, Canada plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fee_MTL

Hi, a friend and I were on a road trip from Montreal, QC to VA Beach and he got clocked in Hanover Cty driving at 94/65.
Apparently he has to show up in court on the stated date, although he lives up in Montreal; a 12-hour drive away!! She told him that failure to appear results in an arrest warrant. He told the lady that he lives in Canada... would they arrest him up here? She didn't seem to have a clear answer.

Anyways the point is not that we are planning on running away from this one, but rather what are his options considering that he is a Canadian citizen and that the car is Quebec plated?

Thanks,
Alfred

Last edited:

lwpat

If he does not show up in court they will issue a warrant for his arrest. Unless he intends to never return to the US he should be OK. I say should because there is a new agreement in the works and nobody knows the final details. It could be retroactive.

Best bet is to retain an attorney or either drive back for court.

fee_MTL

Virginia DMV Approved Online Defensive Driving Course?

Would the completion of the DrivingUniversity.com Virginia DMV Approved Online Defensive Driving affect his case? Is he even qualified to take the course being a Canadian citizen?

lwpat

No. The course is only for Virginia drivers. This is typical for most states. I have had situations where an attorney was able to negotiate traffic school for an out of state driver and the ticket either be reduced or not reported back to the home state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">