• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dwn4now

What is the name of your state? FL

We both agree on seperating and the dividing up of assets. Their is no kids, only money and property. We only want to file for seperation now, not a divorce. Is there forms to file a legal seperation or do we need a lawer to legally seperate & file for us?

LdiJ

Dwn4now said:
What is the name of your state? FL

We both agree on seperating and the dividing up of assets. Their is no kids, only money and property. We only want to file for seperation now, not a divorce. Is there forms to file a legal seperation or do we need a lawer to legally seperate & file for us?
If there is money and property its in your best interests for you each to be represented by an attorney.

Dwn4now

thx - I appreciate your advice

But we really are seperating with no fight..Neither one of us are being vendictive, we realize some marriages just break and we're both ready to just move on. We already split money accounts down the middle to individual accounts and last we agree the house will be sold soon (in contract) and all money will go to my name at sale but I will cut her half of the profits.

She's not getting an attorney so she's relying on trust in me to seperate house equity when I close, which I will. With that said is it possible to legally seperate legally without addition attorney fees? I know attorney's are safer but we're both just looking to start rebuilding our own future and not fight about now..

LdiJ

Dwn4now said:
thx - I appreciate your advice

But we really are seperating with no fight..Neither one of us are being vendictive, we realize some marriages just break and we're both ready to just move on. We already split money accounts down the middle to individual accounts and last we agree the house will be sold soon (in contract) and all money will go to my name at sale but I will cut her half of the profits.

She's not getting an attorney so she's relying on trust in me to seperate house equity when I close, which I will. With that said is it possible to legally seperate legally without addition attorney fees? I know attorney's are safer but we're both just looking to start rebuilding our own future and not fight about now..
I am not suggesting an attorney so that you fight about things. I am suggesting an attorney so that neither of you make any technical errors in the property settlement that cause problems later. People have made errors that really come back to bite them later.

For example: Lets assume you are totally trustworthy and have every intention of giving her, her fair share of the house......but you die in a car accident. Whoever inherits from you will have no obligation to honor that agreement. An attorney will know the proper mechanism for assuring that and other things like that, won't happen.

Dwn4now

Ok, that makes sense.. She's still sole beneficiary but I will schedule a consultation w/ a lawyer just to be safe.. thx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">