• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shaking in my Shoes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelkitty_2479

What is the name of your state? MA, but resides currently in NH

Okay, I am up for a job opportunity, but the problem is, the employer is going to do a background check. The job does consist of handling money. What exactly is included in a background check. Will they check my credit?

First of all my credit sucks because I don't have a job and I have been laid off more than once, due to company failure. Second of all I was a terrible teenager and ended up being arrested once for a fault of missing a court date AND I plead guilty to a misdemeanor for shoplifting about $50 in clothing, which resulting in one years probation.

My first question is how long do these things stay on record? The offense happened when I was 18 and I am now 26 in two months. Second, what does a background check include for employment?

Second, should I come clean or just lie and hope that the offense and arrest won't be on my record? I've lied in applications before about it and still got the job.

Bah! What the heck should I do?

Crazed98

The backround checks depend on how deep they want to search.

Usually they look at crimminal records and your credit history.

So if I were you I would come clean unless you think the backround check is going to be bs and they are just saying they are doing one to be proffesional.

Curt581

Let's seee...

You've got a past history of stealing.

You've got bad credit, probably owe lots of people money.

The new job involves handling money.

Would YOU hire someone like you?

angelkitty_2479

Curt581 said:
Let's seee...

You've got a past history of stealing.

You've got bad credit, probably owe lots of people money.

The new job involves handling money.

Would YOU hire someone like you?

Please spare me the negative comments. Yes, I would hire someone like me because I haven't stolen a damn thing since 1998. That is over 8 years ago. Jerk. My credit is bad because I don't have much and I live with an idiot boyfriend who doesn't know how to keep his hands out of his bank account and save money for the bills. I have no job and a baby boy. What do you think my credit is going to look like? Jerk.

I'm looking for help. Not rude comments from someone who thinks they are hollier-than-thou

Is there ANYONE who can answer my questions please? I am not looking for comments. Just answers.

nohr4u1yr

Application

If you have already filled out the employment application it will state what type of background checks they will do. If you "lie" on the application or state "oops, I forgot to fill that part out" your application will be put in the do not hire drawer.

Being in HR we have heard it all. Explain your previous legal problems - but if you are handling money you probably will not be hired for that position as the company will see you as a risk.

Sorry but that is the way it goes your "stupid mistakes" may haunt you forever.

angelkitty_2479

Obviously you guys are missing the point here. I am looking for answers to my question above.

First of all, people who work at grocery stores and Walmart are handling money. You mean to tell me that they don't have people with a past of crime under their belt? Bull. If that is the case, then where do people who have made "stupid mistakes" work?

I've worked in HR for a staffing company also years ago, however, I was not aware of what the MASS state laws were for criminal checks. That wasn't my part of the job at all. Do you know how long these things stay on your record? I am talking just a misdemeanor with a guilty plea - not a conviction.

I already called about the credit check and they said they do not do those - so I am in the clear for that.

I just can't seem to find out how long misdemeanors stay on my record and how far back emploeyers are even allowed to look.

nohr4u1yr

background

Did the application state to list felonies only? If so, then you don't need to list your situation. It is up to the company to decide if they want to hire you based on your past. Sure it was 8 years ago but they are looking at what the job entails and what information you have privaledge to. Which I'm sure in a mortgage business is date of birth, ss#, credit card numbers, etc.

My advice is to inform them - there is really no way anyone can answer if you will or will not be hired based on your past.

angelkitty_2479

The application said "crimes other that minor traffic violations".

I actually looked up a couple state websites and finalllly came up with something. It said that I can check "no" for a misdemeanor if it has been more than 5 years without other convictions. Both sites said the same thing, but I am looking at criminal check sites and they said they go back 7 years. My case was 7-8 years ago. Yikes. I don't know what to believe now.

Does this sound right to anyone?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What exactly is included in a background check.

Whatever the employer wants to include. It could be as innocuous as calling your former employers for references to a full scale investigation of your background as would be done by the FBI for clearance.

Will they check my credit?

Only the employer can answer that. Some will; others won't.

My first question is how long do these things stay on record?

Forever. That doesn't mean a check will go back forever.

what does a background check include for employment?

See above.

should I come clean

Yes.

just lie and hope that the offense and arrest won't be on my record?

If you lie, and the employer finds out about it, it is a guarantee that you won't be hired. If you lie, and the employer finds out about it after you are hired, it's almost a 100% certainty that you will immediately be fired. Falsification of your application is a certain do-not-hire/firing offense.

I've lied in applications before about it and still got the job.

Then you were very, very, very lucky. Your luck will not hold forever.

What the heck should I do?

You know what you should do.

angelkitty_2479

Hey, if the shoe fits...

whatever, I am just extra sensitive today worrying about that one, short, nagging question that can bar me from nailing a sweet job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">