• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

going thru divorce while house burned down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlharri

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?PA
I feel I am the only one this has happend to. I need advice if anyone else has had this problem, or one like it. I am going thru a divorce (2 1/2 yrs separated). We have a house that i have paid the payments, taxes and insurance on the whole time of separation. I had a house fire 2 months ago and its 100% loss. His name is on the house, home owners insurance, taxes...everything... since we have not finalized the divorce yet. Even tho I met his offer for settlement, he now says because of the fire it changes everything. My questions are, does he have any right to any of the insurance money, can he really benefit from our loss (we have 2 children)...there are so many things going on. hes being a jerk and so far has signed the advance checks but almost didnt sign the last one. his name is on all the paperwork and all the checks and I will have to run it all thru him. My lawyer says after over 2 years he does not have claim to anything but what if he ends up not wanting to sign any papers or checks and holds everything up? Ive pleaded with the insurance company to just put my name on the papers but they cannot because his name is on the insurance...which I had to do because his name is on the deed to the house. Please let me know what I can do to finalize and protect myself from him holding everything up so we can get our new house built. Also, would the property be valued at what it was when he left or what it will be worth once a new house is built? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">