• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How's the property sliced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whatnow?

Maine

I took a severence check from a job I had before marriage put, $60K down on house in both names, owe about $100K value about $150k

Also put $15K down on vehicle worth about $25k she has

she has not paid anything ever on house, I may want to keep it, I am told it is not a straight 50/50

How they do that?

whatnow?

The state is Maine.

I was wondering;

I took a severence check from a job I had before marriage. The check arrived after marriage and I put $60K down on house in both names, owe about $100K value about $150k. I'd like to keep it. She has never paid for any part of the mortgage.

I also put $15K down on vehicle, was worth about $25k she has it and I don't really want it.

I am told that it is not a straight 50/50 with the house due to my paying 60K down and the mortgage.

Is that so? What might be the break down?
Thank you

LdiJ

whatnow? said:
The state is Maine.

I was wondering;

I took a severence check from a job I had before marriage. The check arrived after marriage and I put $60K down on house in both names, owe about $100K value about $150k. I'd like to keep it. She has never paid for any part of the mortgage.

I also put $15K down on vehicle, was worth about $25k she has it and I don't really want it.

I am told that it is not a straight 50/50 with the house due to my paying 60K down and the mortgage.

Is that so? What might be the break down?
Thank you
Here is a link to what the Maine statutes say about division of property in a divorce. However, since her name is on the deed, I think its going to be difficult to split it any less than 50/50 if its been a long term marriage.

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/19-a/title19-asec953.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">