• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

90 day separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

philwagner

What is the name of your state? CT.

My wife wants me to move out for 90 days. She says she wants me to experience what it is like to have to take care of all the everyday responsibilities of running a household. She says that she takes care of "everything" and I get a "free ride".
My question is this: if I agree to leave for 90 days what are my risks down the road? Am I giving up any claim I have to the assets of our marriage - house, savings, etc? Can my leaving be construed as abandonment?
All of our children are grown and out of the house so child support is not a consideration if it comes to divorce.
Should I get some legal document that she needs to sign stipulating my rights since we are still married?
Finally, should I leave at all? My wife demands that I must leave on July 1st. If I don't then she will file for divorce.
Please review and advise.
Thanks,
Phil

LdiJ

philwagner said:
What is the name of your state? CT.

My wife wants me to move out for 90 days. She says she wants me to experience what it is like to have to take care of all the everyday responsibilities of running a household. She says that she takes care of "everything" and I get a "free ride".
My question is this: if I agree to leave for 90 days what are my risks down the road? Am I giving up any claim I have to the assets of our marriage - house, savings, etc? Can my leaving be construed as abandonment?
All of our children are grown and out of the house so child support is not a consideration if it comes to divorce.
Should I get some legal document that she needs to sign stipulating my rights since we are still married?
Finally, should I leave at all? My wife demands that I must leave on July 1st. If I don't then she will file for divorce.
Please review and advise.
Thanks,
Phil
No, leaving would not take away your rights to any of the assets of the marriage. It might give your wife a stronger claim to the house, but you would still be entitled to half of the equity.

She can't make you leave...however, if there is a chance that a separation would ultimately save your marriage, then its probably the wise thing to do.
Either that, or agree to take on 50% of the responsibility of running the household, and actually DO it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">